From the Fire Marshal’s Office, the following are important.
- Install smoke alarms on each storey of the home plus outside sleeping areas and always high on the wall or on the ceiling, as smoke rises.
- Test your smoke alarms every month
- Change the batteries at least once a year or when the time changes.
- Vacuum alarms annually to remove dust. If it is a wired alarm, shut off the power first.
- Replace alarms at least once every 10 years, before expiry date.
- If steam from the shower or cooking sets off the alarm, relocate the alarm or install an alarm that allows interruption or install photo-electric alarms where the source of the problem is.
- Always have a plan for escape in the vent there is a fire and await the fire department.
Contributed By: Jim McLachlin, Broker